The Sigma dp1 Quattro Digital Camera combines the 29MP Foveon X3 Direct Image Sensor with the TRUE III image processing engine to create high qualityimages with an equivalent resolution of 39 megapixels due to the unique sensor design. This method uses layers of pixels to capture the color data of thered, green, and blue spectrums vertically, requiring no interpolation. This results in a sharper image with better color gradations.
With this technology is a 19mm lens that on an APS-C camera has an 35mm equivalent focal length of 28mm. It is relatively fast with a maximum aperture off/2.8, making it useful in low light. Also, for composing and reviewing images, a 3.0" 920k-dot TFT LCD display is available on the back of the camera.
For low light shooting, the camera has an ISO sensitivity range of 100-6400 in 1/3 steps and it has P/S/A/M shooting modes for full control over yourexposure. It even has RAW image capture at a max resolution of 5,424 x 3,616 for excellent editing capabilities. For focusing, there is contrast-detectautofocus or a manual focusing ring for your preference. And, the camera saves your images to an SDXC, SDHC, or SD card.
- 29MP Foveon X3 Quattro Direct CMOS Image Sensor & TRUE III Image Processing Engine
- The dp1 uses the APS-C-sized Foveon X3 CMOS image sensor which captures color information vertically as opposed to horizontally. This means thateach pixel has extremely accurate color information, resulting in rich tones and smooth gradations. Also, since it captures color vertically, thereis no need for color filters or a low-pass filter, further increasing image quality for resolution comparable to about 39MP from Bayer array imagesensors.
This camera utilizes the latest generation of this technology, named Quattro due to the 1:1:4 ratio of the pixel layers, with 20MP on the top layerand 4.9MP on each of the bottom two. This simultaneously reduces file size and increases resolution, making the camera faster and lowers the powerconsumption. This speed increase is also due to the third generation Three-layer Responsive Ultimate Engine, or TRUE III image processing engine.The processor is optimized for handling the complex image data recorded by the sensor and produces high quality imagery. resolution, making thecamera faster and lowers the power consumption. This speed increase is also due to the third generation Three-layer Responsive Ultimate Engine, orTRUE III image processing engine. The processor is optimized for handling the complex image data recorded by the sensor and produces high qualityimagery.
- 19mm f/2.8 Prime Lens
- Equipped with a 19mm f/2.8 prime lens, this camera provides a 35mm equivalent focal length of 28mm for wide-angle shooting. It also has arelatively fast aperture of f/2.8, resulting in quality images even in low-light conditions. Additionally, with a 9-blade diaphragm it will producesmooth out-of-focus areas at any aperture.
- 3.0" LCD Monitor
- The dp1 features a 3.0" TFT LCD display with 920,000 pixels for shooting and reviewing your images. This monitor is also where you can changesettings for your shooting needs and preferences.
- RAW Image Capture
- Full 14-bit RAW images can be captured with data for every pixel included, meaning 5,424 x 3616 on the top layer, and 2,712 x 1,808 on thesubsequent two pixel layers. You can also shoot with JPEG and produce images with resolutions as high as 7,680 x 3,296.
- Full Exposure Control
- Program, aperture priority, shutter speed priority, and full manual modes are included for complete control over the look of your photographs. Thisgives you access to the ISO settings from 100-6400 in 1/3 steps and a shutter speed from 1/2000 sec all the way to 30 seconds. Additionally, thereis exposure compensation available from -3 to +3 EV.
- Auto and Manual Focusing
- Contrast-detect autofocus is available with 9-points Select Mode in addition to Free Move Mode and Face Detection AF. Also, the lens itself has afocusing ring for manual focusing.
- Color Modes
- The camera features 11 different color modes for a variety of effects, including Standard, Vivid, Neutral, Portrait, Landscape, Cinema, Sunset Red,Incandescent, Fluorescent, Color Temperature, Flash, and Custom.