The Nikon D90 DSLR Camera with 18-105mm Lens, with its 12.3-megapixel DX-format CMOS, 3.0" High resolution LCD display, Scene Recognition System, Picture Control, Active D-Lighting, and one-button Live View, provides photo enthusiasts with the image quality and performance they need to pursue their own vision while still being intuitive enough for use as an everyday camera. It features Nikon's EXPEED image processing engine to deliver outstanding images featuring fine details, smooth tones, rich colors and low noise across a wide ISO sensitivity range, and significantly accelerate camera performance on all levels. With a start up time of just 0.15 seconds and a shutter release lag time of approx. 65 milliseconds, the D90 delivers instant response, and provides continuous shooting at a rapid 4.5 frames per second. In addition, the D90 introduces the D-Movie mode, allowing for the first time, an interchangeable lens SLR camera that is capable of recording 720p HD movie clips.
The Nikon D90 lets users take advantage of the superior optical quality and broad selection of available NIKKOR lenses, and the refined 11-area AF System (based on Nikon's advanced Multi-CAM 1000 AF Sensor Module) ensures consistently fast and precise focus lock in various shooting conditions while Nikon's exclusive 3D Color Matrix Metering II ensures accurate automatic exposure control, even in the most challenging lighting conditions.
The D90 provides remarkable user operability, featuring Nikon's exclusive Scene Recognition System that advances precision in auto focus, auto exposure, and auto white balance in diverse shooting situations - so you'll get stunning images with point-and-shoot simplicity. The Live View mode allows for users to frame their images on the large 3" high resolution color LCD - providing for easy image framing, even when shooting at odd angles. There are also three contrast-detect AF modes to allow photographers to focus on any point in the frame, and enabling a greater variety of composition. In addition, the D90 has a face priority AF mode available in the Live View mode for even sharper pictures of people.
This package includes Nikon's AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR lens, a high performance & efficient optic that's a perfect partner for the D90. Useful in many scenarios, the lens' built-in Vibration Reduction II system provides equivalent shutter speeds ( for reducing camera motion, not subject motion) 3 steps faster than standard lenses. This allows for much sharper handheld exposures in low light. It also has one ED glass element and one aspherical lens element, optimized for use with DX-format SLRs. The VR system & ED glass allow you to make highly-resolved, crisp images with minimal chromatic aberration. Lastly, the lens' ultra-compact Silent Wave Motor allows for blazingly quick, silent autofocus. With the D90 and the 18-105mm VR lens, you can capture a high percentage of "keeper" candids of things like children scurrying about at a birthday party, a tall task for any SLR camera.
- 12.3-megapixel Resolution
- Nikon's 12.3 megapixel DX-format CMOS imaging sensor coupled with Nikon's industry-leading 12-bit advanced EXPEED image processing technologies provides color-independent pre-conditioning prior to A/D conversion and works in harmony with high-precision digital image processing algorithms to produce natural-looking images that benefit from faithful color and tone reproduction along with a wide dynamic range.
- Self Cleaning Sensor
- The D90 incorporates a self-cleaning sensor unit, which vibrates at high frequencies using four different resonance frequencies to remove any loose dust on the surface of the sensor's optical low pass filter
- Instant Start Up and Fast Performance
- With a near instant power-up time of 0.15 seconds and a mere 65-millisecond shutter lag, the Nikon D90 promotes fast handling and enables photographers respond to any photographic opportunities as they arise. Additionally, swift continuous shooting performance at 4.5 frames per second enables performance shooting for sports and other high speed subjects, and shutter speeds ranging from 1/4000 to 30 seconds or bulb setting provide full creative control.
- Exclusive D-Movie Mode
- Record cinematic-quality movie clips at up to 720p HD (1280 x 720 pixels), or lower quality at 320 x 216 pixels & 640 x 424 pixels in Motion JPEG format with the professional smoothness of 24 frames per second. The camera's sensor, which is much larger than the sensor of a typical camcorder, ensures higher image quality and exceptional low-noise, with high ISO sensitivity performance, even during movie shooting. Capturing creative movie clips or the drama of life's moving moments is further enhanced by the wide selection of incredibly sharp NIKKOR interchangeable lenses that are available, from fisheye to wide-angle to super-telephoto. And Micro NIKKOR lenses bring the magic of extreme close-up imagery to movie making.
- High Sensitivity with Noise Reduction
- The Nikon D90 provides sensitivity between ISO 200 -3200 to maximize available light and achieve optimal exposure. Sensitivity can also be expanded to a low ISO of 100 with the Lo-1 mode or up to ISO 6400 using the Hi-1 Mode. In addition, three levels of High ISO Noise Reduction are available when shooting at high ISO settings. Long Exposure Noise Reduction is also available when shooting at shutter speeds of 8 seconds or slower.
- 11-area AF System
- Nikon's Multi-CAM 1000 AF System provides maximum flexibility and optimum performance under varied shooting situations. The 11-area autofocus system features a cross-type sensor in the center, broad frame coverage, as well as class-leading low light detection and convenient AF-assist illuminator to aid in low-light conditions. In addition, the D90 features versatile AF-area modes including Single-point AF for stationary subjects, dynamic-area AF for moving subjects, auto-area AF for spontaneous shooting and 3D-tracking (11 points) AF for when you want to change the composition after focusing on your subject.
- Auto Active D-Lighting Mode
- The Active D-Lighting mode can be used on an image-by-image basis or set to function automatically, and provides remarkable real-time highlight and shadow correction with optimized image contrast, producing broader tone reproduction in both shadows and highlights while applying localized tone control technology to achieve a more pleasing level of contrast across the entire image. And because Active D-Lighting is applied as images are captured, image editing time can be reduced. There are four levels Active D-Lighting available, and it is also possible to bracket your pictures, allowing the capture of one image with Active D-Lighting and one without.
- Nikon 3D Color Matrix Metering II with Scene Recognition System
- Substantially more sophisticated than traditional multi-pattern metering systems, Nikon's 3D Color Matrix Metering II instantly and accurately evaluates brightness, color, contrast, selected focus area and subject-to-camera distance information, referencing the results against an onboard database of 30,000 scenes from actual photography. Vary the size of the center-weighted area reading and spot metering readings correspond to 11 focusing points.
- Bright Pentaprism Viewfinder
- The D90 has a precise eye-level pentaprism viewfinder with approx. 96% (centered) frame coverage and an easy-to-view 19.5 mm eyepoint (at -1.0 m -1). The viewfinder also has a built-in 16-frame superimposed grid display can be activated to assist in the creation of better-balanced compositions.
- 3-inch Super-density Color LCD Display
- The camera's 3" high-resolution LCD monitor has a resolution of 920,000 pixels for sharp and clear rendering of images and text, and the wide viewing angle allows users to view the display at odd angles and still be able to clearly see all of the display information, a tremendous advantage when using the Live View mode or when reviewing your images during playback.
- Live View Feature
- The D90 includes the Live View system, which presents photographers with a live image on the LCD screen, with two modes suited to either hand held or tripod shooting. The Live View system is particularly useful when shooting in a studio, Utilizing remote shooting or when shooting from challenging angles. In addition, the Live View also provides access to 3 contrast detection focus modes including Face Priority AF
- Advanced Scene Modes
- The D90 features Advanced Scene Modes including Portrait, Landscape, Close-up, Sports and Night Portrait. These modes not only adjust exposure and image processing, but also judge the optimum Active D-Lighting and Picture Control settings to obtain the best results. The D90 also recognizes if VR (Vibration Reduction) is on or off and minimizes noise even in dimly lit scenes.
- Scene Recognition System Integrated with Face Detection System
- The D90 precisely reads the color and brightness information of each scene from the 420-pixel RGB sensor, and applies this to auto focus, auto exposure and auto white balance. The D90 also recognizes human faces using the Face Detection System, data which is incorporated during calculation, resulting in faces with newfound definition and accuracy as well as enabling face priority AF in Live View mode and immediate zoom into people's faces in playback zoom.
- In-camera Image Editing and Effects
- Creative in-camera effects and editing functions are available under the Retouch menu, and provide greater creative freedom without the need of a computer. Nikon D-lighting automatically brings out detail to enhance results and add creative flair, all the while optimizing overall exposure balance. Red-eye Correction automatically detects and compensates for the annoying red-eye effect sometimes caused by flash. Image trimming can be used to produce smaller files for easy sharing or greater efficiency for specific end purposes. Image Overlay merges a pair of selected RAW (NEF) files taken with the D90 to create a composite image that can be saved in RAW or JPEG format. Monochrome Black and White, Sepia and Cyanotype along with Skylight, Warm Tone and Custom Color filter effects. Multiple Exposure creates a single image within the camera from up to 3 consecutive exposures to produce imaginative and even surreal results.
- GPS Geo-Tagging (with optional accessory)
- The optional GP-1 GPS unit provides automatic real-time geo-tagging, thereby providing another option for organizing your images. Users can group pictures by location or view a diversity of locations for a specific subject. The applications for location scouting or surveillance are endless.
- Built-in Slideshow Function with Pictmotion
- Select a range of images, pick a style and add music for beautiful picture presentations - advanced Pictmotion transitions include slide-in, slide-out, fade-in, and fade-out. Users can view the images and slide shows on a standard television via the supplied AV cable or simply view on the camera's 3.0 inches LCD. The camera also has a HDMI Interface so users can view images and slide shows on an HDMI-equipped HDTV display.
- Ergonomic and Durable Design
- The Nikon D90 is housed in a slim, compact body with the size, layout and operation of all buttons and controls designed for intuitive operation. The camera components are also very durable with a shutter mechanism that was specifically engineered for long, accurate service. To ensure this, D90 shutter has undergone exhaustive testing and is assured to last for over 100,000 shutter-release cycles.
- Excellent Battery Life
- The High-Efficiency power system provides superb battery life. As a result, the Nikon EN-EL3e Lithium Ion rechargeable battery delivers enough power to support the shooting of up to 850 images on a single charge (CIPA Standards), and it can be recharged at any time without exhibiting battery memory problems
- Seamless Integration with Nikon's Total Imaging System
- The Nikon D90 provides unprecedented compatibility with Nikon's lineup of AF Nikkor lenses and digital-exclusive DX Nikkor lenses. The optional MB-D80 battery pack adds extended shooting capability in an ergonomic design that adds shooting stability. Able to run on either one or two EN-EL3e batteries or six AA-size batteries, the pack also features an additional command dial and alternative buttons for shutter release and AE-Lock/AF-Lock that make vertical shooting more comfortable. The Wireless ML-L3 (IR) Remote Control and MC-DC2 Remote Cord options provide necessary camera stability when using long exposures for landscape and macro photography.
- Superb Software
- PictureProject software is included with the Nikon D90 and features an intuitive user interface that provides fast and easy access to powerful tools for organizing, editing and sharing images. Auto Enhance and other creative functions are readily available via handy buttons, as are Mail, Slideshow and CD/DVD burning functions. Pictures can be organized using simple drag 'n' drop operation, and can be quickly located by name, keyword, or date. Even design templates that make it easy to produce prints, tailor images to e-mail, or layout several images on a page to produce creative album layouts. The camera also includes Nikon ViewNX image browsing and editing software that lets you organize, label and select images as well as perform RAW (NEF) image editing adjustments and conversions. The optional Capture NX2 software is Nikon's highly versatile and elegantly simple photo editing solution designed to help photographers tap the full potential of NEF (RAW) images. Featuring an innovative user interface that provides easier access to powerful and visually intuitive enhancement tools, Capture NX's powerful photo image processing and editing tools can also be applied to JPEG and TIFF files to satisfy a broader range of photofinishing needs and applications.