Specifically designed for those looking to photograph the night sky, the Nikon D810A DSLR is a modified version of the D810 and features an optical IR cut filter for photographing distant nebulae and other astronomical phenomena with utmost clarity and color accuracy. By updating the D810's design with a dedicated filter to pass H-alpha (656.28nm) wavelengths, the D810A is able to depict nebulae and other subjects without unwanted infrared contamination for greater color neutrality. Benefitting this adjustment to the sensor filtration, this specialized DSLR also features an expanded shutter speed range and new M* exposure mode for more accurate exposure times up to 15 minutes, as well as a Virtual Live View Exposure Preview feature to aid in clear focus and composition confirmation when making such long exposures. Beyond these few but notable distinctions, the D810A and D810 feature the same set of core features to produce high resolution, well-detailed imagery.
The D810A features a 36.3MP FX-format CMOS sensor without an optical low pass filter for particularly sharp and detailed still imaging. With the addition of the EXPEED 4 Image Processor, performance speed is increased compared to the EXPEED 3 and noise is effectively reduced throughout the ISO range. Continuous shooting speed in FX format is 5 fps and in DX format hits a maximum of 7 fps. In addition, the full HD video capabilities include 1080p capture at 24, 30 and 60 fps. Also, the improved efficiency of the processor enables up to 1200 shots on one battery charge and 40 minutes of video recording. Low light performance has been upgraded thanks to a wide native sensitivity range that runs from ISO 200 to 12800 and can be expanded from ISO 32 to 51200. Additionally, as a camera also optimized for video capture, the D810A features recording in both FX and DX formats including simultaneous recording to memory cards and an external recorder as well as recording 60p output to an external recorder.
The 3.2" LCD with 1,229k-dot resolution provides clear playback viewing and live view, and improved coatings on the optical viewfinder components provide brighter images and more accurate colors. Live View function now includes split screen display zoom for stills, and zebra highlighting display in video mode. Full aperture metering during live view for still shooting is supported. Interval and time-lapse shooting feature exposure smoothing, and the maximum number of images per sequence is now 9,999. Additionally, the D810A utilizes dual media slots-both Compact Flash and SD cards-for greater image storage capacity or automatic in-camera file back-ups.
- Dedicated to Astrophotography
- Based on the venerable D810, the D810A is an astrophotography-dedicated DSLR that differs from its general-use brother in a number of ways to better enable photographing the night sky:
- An optical IR cut filter features specific transmission characteristics to better enable capturing nebulae and distant galaxies that emit light at the H-alpha wavelength, or 656.28nm. By filtering at this spectrum, you can more accurately photograph reddish, diffuse nebulae and other astronomical phenomena in a clearer, more brilliant manner- void of the IR attenuation associated with traditional hot mirrors and other IR-blocking technologies on most cameras.
- In addition to the standard P, S, A, and M exposure modes, an M* (Long Exposure Manual Mode) has also been added for greater control when making exposures in excess of 30 seconds. When working in the M* mode, presets are available for 4, 5, 8, 10, 15, 20, 30, 60, 120, 180, 240, 300, 600, and 900 second (15 minute) times, in addition to both bulb and time settings.
- The Virtual Live View Exposure Preview feature displays a virtual preview on the rear LCD for greater focusing and composing accuracy when photographing with exposures longer than 30 seconds and up to 900 seconds.
- The base sensitivity has been raised to ISO 200 and the top native sensitivity remains at ISO 12800. Expanded Lo and Hi values can be set to the equivalent of ISO 32 and ISO 51200.
- The same white balance presets remain as the standard D810, however color reproduction and accuracy may vary depending on lighting conditions and the resulting images may take on a reddish cast. This is especially prevalent when photographing under fluorescent lighting and other situations with an abundance of IR transmission. As such, the D810A is not recommended for general photography.
- 36.3MP FX-Format CMOS Sensor without an Optical Low Pass Filter
- A truly high-resolution sensor, Nikon's 36.3MP FX-format sensor is benefitted by the omission of an optical low pass filter for superior sharpness and detail. The sensor boasts fast channel readout, wide dynamic range, rich tones and improved imaging at high sensitivities.
- EXPEED 4 Image Processor
- The EXPEED 4 processor provides 30% faster performance over the EXPEED 3 as well improved low noise imaging throughout the ISO range. Support for 1080p video capture at 60 fps is featured and the processor's increased efficiency enables up to 1200 still shots and 40 minutes of video recording per charge.
- Reduced Vibration for Sharper Imaging
- The D810A's shutter/mirror box architecture and electronic front-curtain feature improve overall image clarity. The shutter/mirror mechanism reduces image shake for a steady viewfinder image with minimal blackout during high-speed shooting. When activated, the electronic front-curtain shutter reduces the risk of blur in even subtle details by minimizing internal vibrations during exposure.
- Interval Timer/Time-Lapse Shooting
- Exposure smoothing is supported in time-lapse and interval shooting modes and the number of recordable images has been increased to 9,999.
- Continuous Shooting
- In FX mode, the D810A can shoot up to 5 fps, and in DX mode it can capture up to 7 fps when utilizing the MB-D12 battery grip with AA batteries. Additionally, a redesigned Sequencer/Balancer Mechanism enables Quiet Continuous Mode for near silent sequential shooting.
- 3.2" LCD Monitor with 1,229k-dot Resolution
- A high resolution LCD provides detailed playback viewing and live view capture with color balance and brightness control. A split screen display zoom for still shooting lets you compare two enlarged points in the image for sharpness and exposure.
- Optical Viewfinder
- Improved coatings on the optical components render brighter and more accurate color, and the Organic EL information display makes it easier to make adjustments under bright/dim conditions.
- Advanced Multi-CAM 3500FX Auto Focus Sensor
- Versatile AF Modes of 9, 21, and 51 points and 3D tracking enable fast, precise auto focus control. AF sensitivity down to -2 EV is effective in low light and 15 cross-type sensors are compatible with AF NIKKOR lenses with open aperture of f/5.6 or faster. Eleven central focus points work with an open aperture of f/8. Improvements include upgraded 'lock-on', expanded 'store by orientation,' and more options for AF mode restrictions.
- Full HD 1080p Video Capture in 60/30/24 fps
- Video recording is supported in both FX and DX formats with an ISO range from 200 to 12,800. Simultaneous recording to memory cards and to an external recorder is now supported. Auto ISO adjustment is possible in manual mode for smooth exposure transitions. Nikon's 3D noise reduction reduces random noise, distortion, and flicker when filming at high sensitivities. Zebra mode on the camera monitor shows you exactly where highlights are. A built-in stereo microphone as well as jacks for external microphone and headphones are provided. You can fine-tune audio levels in isolation both before and during recording and select the sound range (wide/voice).
- CF and SD Card Slots
- Two card slots are supported for versatile image storage and smoother workflow. One CF card slot for high-speed UDMA 7 cards, and one SD card slot for high-speed, high-capacity SDXC and UHS-I cards allow you to use one card as back-up or place still images on one card and video on the other or RAW on one and JPEG on the other.
- Wi-Fi with Optional Transmitter
- The D810 offers wireless connectivity for image transfer to a computer or FTP server and for remote camera control using Nikon's Camera Control Pro 2 software via the optional WT-5A Wireless Transmitter in combination with the optional UT-1 Communications Unit. The WT-5 attaches to the UT-1 unit which mounts to the camera's accessory hot shoe.
- Form Factor
- A deeper hand grip improves handling, and a secondary "i" button has been added for easier access to important settings. A durable magnesium alloy body with extensive weather and dust sealing ensure the D810A is moisture- and dust-resistant.
- Other Camera Features
- Group Area AF enhances subject detection and tracking in challenging lighting conditions or when shooting comparatively small subjects against a high-contrast background by grouping and monitoring 5 individual AF points. The 5-point AF area can be shifted across the 51-point array as your composition changes.
- Accelerate your workflow with Nikon's RAW Size S file format which delivers 12-bit uncompressed Nikon NEF files that enable faster image transfer and smoother post-production.
- In addition to standard, neutral, vivid, monochrome, portrait and landscape, image control options have been expanded to include Flat Picture Control which is geared for shooting in RAW modes and for video capture when adjustments will be made in post-production. Also, a clarity option has been added to all Picture Control settings and better control over Picture Control is enabled by fine 0.25 steps.
- Both a built-in flash and hot shoe mount are supported with i-TTL metering, as is a flash sync terminal. The built-in flash offers commander mode for wireless control of up to two groups of off-camera flash units.
Nikon D810A DSLR Camera (Body Only)
- EN-EL15 Lithium-Ion Battery (1900mAh)
- MH-25A Battery Charger for EN-EL15 Li-Ion Battery
- DK-17 Eyepiece for Select Nikon Cameras
- BM-12 LCD Monitor Cover
- BF-1B Body Cap
- AN-DC16 Neck Strap for Nikon D810A (Black)
- UC-E22 USB 3.0 Cable
- USB Cable Clip
- HDMI Cable Clip
- NikonView NX2 CD-ROM
- Limited 1-Year USA Warranty
Nikon 50mm f/1.8D AF Nikkor Lens for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras
Nikon 18-55MM VR Lens
Nikon AF Zoom-NIKKOR 70-300mm f/4-5.6G Lens
500mm Preset Lens (Black)
52mm 0.43X HD Wide Angle Lens with Macro for Digital Cameras
52mm 2.2X HD Telephoto Lens for Digital Cameras
High Definition Multi-Coated 3 Piece UV-CPL-FLD Filter Kit (52mm)
SanDisk Ultra 64GB SDHC SDXC SD Class 10 48MB/s 320x Memory Card
Replacement EN-EL15 High Capacity Li-ion Battery Pack
Replacement EN-EL15 High-Quality AC/DC Rapid Battery Charger
5 FT ( foot ) Gold Plated HDMI to Micro HDMI High-Speed Cable
SD Memory Card Reader (USB 2.0)
Remote Control for Nikon DSLR Cameras (ML-L3 Replacement)
High Definition 2X Telephoto Converter for Opteka 420-800mm, 650-1300mm, 500mm, and 800mm SLR Lenses
X-GRIP Professional Camera / Camcorder Action Stabilizing Handle (Black)
Professional I-TTL Auto-Focus Dedicated Flash (IF-980) for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras
Professional Digital SLR Camera Pro Sling Travel Backpack
67" Professional Heavy Duty Photo / Video Monopod
72-Inch Tripod (Black)
Memory Card Storage Wallet for SecureDigital, MicroSD and Compact Flash Cards
Padded Dual Grip/Wrist Strap Handgrip for All Digital SLR Cameras
T-Mount for Nikon
Deluxe Camera Care Cleaning Kit
Lens Cleaning Pen