Canon's XF105 HD Professional PAL Camcorderis an amazingly compact, fully featured pro video camera that imports nearly all the features and functionality of the 3-chip XF305 into a smaller, single sensor form factor. Taking advantage of the latest HD technology along with Canon's robust MPEG-2 4:2:2 codec the XF105 records full HD video to affordable Compact Flash cards, making it as versatile as it is powerful.
A newly developed Genuine Canon 10x HD video lens resolves images onto a native 1920 x 1080 CMOS sensor, which are captured in industry-standard MXF file wrappers using your choice of bit rate (up to 50 Mb/s), resolution, and frame rate. Full image customization and HDMI/Component/Composite outputs are equally on par with the camera's big brother XF305.
But not content with simple "junior partner" status, the XF105 brings some of its own muscle to the table in the form of infrared recording and when used in combination with another XF105 or XF100 3D stereoscopic capability. This fusion of exceptional image quality with portability and pinpoint control makes the XF105 the perfect low-profile tool for a range of applications, including ENG, travel documentaries, indie features, and event videography. The camera also includes HD/SD-SDI output, genlock, and SMPTE time code terminals, widening its range of uses to live and multi-camera productions.
- MPEG-2 4:2:2 50Mbps Codec (Canon XF Codec)
- Canon's adaptation of MPEG-2 for the XF105 Professional Camcorder, named the Canon XF Codec, ensures the widest compatibility with existing industry infrastructure and non-linear editing (NLE) systems. And by using an MXF file wrapper, video and audio can be wrapped in a single file along with important metadata. The XF105 supports the highest HD quality with Full HD 1920 x 1080 resolution, up to a 50 Mb/s bit rate and 4:2:2 color sampling.
- 4:2:2 Color Sampling
- 4:2:2 color sampling provides twice the color resolution of HDV and other codecs that use 4:2:0 color sampling. 4:2:2 provides ultra-fine transitions in tone and color and maintains the highest quality image for use in post production processes such as chroma keying, color grading, advanced compositing and effects.
- Record to Compact Flash Cards
- Unlike other camcorders using proprietary memory systems, the XF105 records to cost effective and readily available Compact Flash (CF) cards. The camcorder features two CF card slots and offers versatile recording functions including relay recording, hot swapping, file copy & backup, and pre-record cache (3 seconds).
File-based recording facilitates workflow by reducing transfer times when moving video to nonlinear editing (NLE) systems. Additionally, metadata can be input at image acquisition, and imagery may be reviewed immediately after recording to ensure every shot is captured and logged correctly.
- Major NLE Software Compatibility
- Canon's XF Codec is supported by the industry's leading manufacturers: Adobe, Apple, Avid and Grass Valley. This ensures the widest compatibility with existing infrastructure and non-linear editing (NLE) software.
- MXF Wrapper
- The XF105 uses Material Exchange Format (MXF) for its file structure an internationally standardized container format for the exchange of video and audio material. Using the MXF format, video and audio can be wrapped into a single file along with important metadata. With MXF, the XF105 will not only benefit from the highest level of compatibility with NLE systems, but also with high-end network systems used by many networks and production studios.
- Genuine Canon 10x HD Lens
- Canon's optical expertise is clearly seen in the XF105's Genuine Canon 10x HD Video Lens. It delivers flexibility in image capture with a zoom range of 30.4-304mm (35mm equivalent). Power zoom is available in Constant and Variable settings in 3 modes: Fast (approx. 1.9-60 seconds), Normal (approx. 3.0-180 seconds) and Slow (approx. 4.0-285 seconds).
- Canon Native 1920 x 1080 CMOS Image Sensor
- Newly designed and manufactured exclusively by Canon, the XF105 incorporates a native 1/3", 1920 x 1080 CMOS image sensor, delivering superb full HD video recording with minimal noise. The high sensitivity and wide dynamic range of this sensor are what demanding users expect from Canon. Slow and fast motion shooting are supported for greater flexibility in creative choice and the compactness contributes greatly to the small, super handy size of the XF105 and its outstanding usability in the field.
- HD-SDI Output, Genlock & SMPTE Time Code
- Aside from providing the professional user with complete control over the image, the Canon XF105 also provides complete creative freedom when it comes to inputs and outputs. It features industry standard HD-SDI output and a genlock/time code terminal (BNC style), making it ideally suited for multi-camera or 3D productions. Other inputs include:
- HDMI Output
- Component Video Output
- Composite Video Output (3.5mm Terminal)
- USB 2.0 Hi-Speed Terminal
- Remote Control Terminal (compatible with LANC protocol)
- Multiple Bit Rates, Resolution, & Frame Rates
- Multiple recording modes, resolutions and frame rates make the XF105 Professional Camcorder creatively flexible and able to work in virtually any production environment. From the highest quality 50 Mb/s Full HD to the HDV-compatible 25 Mb/s, users will find the camcorder capable of taking on any job.
- Canon DIGIC DV III Image Processor
- The XF105 features Canon's powerful DIGIC DV III Image Processor, which provides enhanced shading, lifelike tonal gradations, new custom picture settings and lower power consumption. DIGIC DV III is also the high-speed engine which powers Genuine Canon Face Detection. On-the-go videographers will appreciate the ability to track one subject in a crowd of people.
- Built-in 3D Assist Features
- The XF105 has the ability to be paired with another XF105 or XF100 camcorder to provide true stereoscopic 3D recording. It offers several features to assist with 3D production including OIS Lens Shift to aid in optically aligning the two camcorders. A focal length guide displays the zoom position of each camera in relation to each other and calibrates the zoom distance.
The XF105's compact size provides an alternative to large 3D rigs allowing 3D crews to work more quickly and efficiently, while providing the needed features to capture exceptional 3D imagery.
- Infrared Recording
- The XF105 features an Infrared Mode allowing users to capture video in conditions with little to no ambient light, a situation which would make other camcorders useless. During infrared capture, the infrared cutoff filter is removed from the optical path. Combined with a specially designed lens coating, infrared light is able to pass through to the image sensor. Additionally, the XF105 features an infrared emitter with a diffuser to shoot pleasing infrared imagery even in complete darkness.
- Brilliant Ergonomics
- The XF105 is designed as an ultra-compact camcorder without compromising on features and usability. Its small size makes this camcorder ideal in situations where every inch and ounce count, such as flying to location or going on expedition. It offers amazing image quality yet can easily be placed in the back of a car or carried in a backpack making the XF105 the perfect camera to go anywhere, anytime on a moment's notice.
- Neutral Density Filter
- For enhanced versatility, the XF105 offers a built-in gradation type neutral density (ND) filter (approximately 1/8), as well as an eight-blade metal aperture iris.
- SuperRange Optical Image Stabilizer
- The XF105 also incorporates a newly designed SuperRange Optical Image Stabilization system (lens shift) with three modes: Standard, Dynamic and Powered.
- Instant AF
- When shooting high definition video, sharp focus becomes more critical than ever. Canon's proprietary Instant AF system combines an external AF sensor with Canon's legendary auto focus system for fast and accurate focus. Together, the two sensors reduce focusing time even in low-light, low contrast, or high brightness situations and improve focusing performance on difficult subjects.
- 8-Blade Iris
- In contrast to a typical 6-blade iris, the XF105's 8-blade iris captures extraordinarily smooth out-of-focus "bokeh" for a more attractive image effect. The additional blades also reduce diffraction of light passing through the iris, allowing for the use of smaller apertures while maintaining image quality.
- Digital Teleconverter
- The Digital Teleconverter extends the reach of the optical zoom, and is selectable by 1.5x, 3x and 6x. This feature is ideal when extreme telephoto shooting is needed such as in sports and wildlife, as well as, surveillance applications for law enforcement and the military.
- Slow Motion & Fast Motion
- Slow and Fast Motion Modes allow the XF105 to record a different frame rate than the playback frame rate, resulting in either a fast or slow motion effect during playback. Since the camera is recording real frames and modifying the playback rate, there is no quality loss and maximum image quality is maintained.
- Interval Recording
- With this feature, users can program the camera to record a specified number of frames at specified intervals. The technique can be used to observe natural phenomena over extended periods, making it ideal for time-lapse applications. The interval can be set in 25 levels ranging from 1 second to 10 minutes. Frame recording is also possible, allowing a specified number of frames to be recorded ideal for projects such as clay animation. (In both of these modes, you can choose to record 2, 6, or 12 frames.)
- 3.5" 920K-Dot LCD Monitor
- A 3.5", 920,000-dot LCD monitor provides an ample, accurate area for critical focus confirmation and approximately 100% field of view. The display opens on the left side of the camera body.
- 260K-Dot Electronic Viewfinder
- The XF105 features a 0.24", 260,000-dot color EVF and approximately 100% field of view coverage for comfortable viewing and accurate judgment of composition. Brightness, contrast, color and backlight are adjustable. The angle of the viewfinder is adjustable up and down through 68 for additional user comfort and when using the LCD display for monitoring.
- Focus Assist Functions
- With Canon's new Edge Monitor Focus Assist system, a red and green monitor is shown at the bottom of the LCD display and three red focus check areas are shown across the display. The green waveform shows overall focus of the image, while the red waveform shows the focus status of the focus check boxes. Through this dynamic focus feedback, the user can intuitively tune focus in a scene and quickly change the zone of focus.
- Two peaking modes and a magnify focus assist function are available in standby and record mode (LCD monitor and EVF), making it extremely easy for the XF105 operator to check and confirm critical focus. Color, gain, and frequency are customizable for both peaking modes.
- Two levels of zebra can be selected for help with setting the exposure. Both can be output via HDMI.
- The LCD features selectable markers: aspect ratio, aspect maker, select area, safe area, grid, horizontal, and center.
- Exceptional Customization
- Users of the XF105 Professional Camcorder have full manual control of all camera functions to adapt to both technical and artistic challenges when shooting. For maximum customization, users have access to Custom Picture Settings, Custom Functions and Custom Display Options to tailor the camera to their creative and production needs. Any combination of these items can be saved to an SD memory card for easy setup and matching of multiple XF105 and XF100 camcorders.
- Custom Picture Settings
- You can manually set an extensive variety of image quality adjustments and store them as 9 different presets in the camera. Up to 20 may be saved to an SD card. The adjustments include: Gamma, Black Level, Black Gamma, Low Key Saturation, Knee, Sharpness, Noise Reduction, Skin Detail, Selective Noise Reduction, Color Matrix, White Balance, Color Correction and Setup Level.
- Custom Functions
- The XF105's operation can be further fine-tuned through the use of Custom Functions. This allows the camcorder to truly match your shooting style. A total of 15 unique items can be adjusted including: Shockless Gain, Shockless White Balance, AE Response, Iris Limit, Iris Ring Direction, Focus Ring Control and Character Record. And for quick access to commonly used functions, the XF105 features 10 customizable control buttons and a custom dial.
- Custom Display
- The Custom Display function lets you set 32 display items to create a custom LCD/EVF to suit your specific needs. Items that can be selected include: Zoom Position, Audio Level, Remaining Record Time, Exposure, Object Distance, Time Code and more.
- Smooth and efficient workflow is an essential part of the production process. Canon's XF Codec is supported by the industry's leading manufacturers: Adobe, Apple, Avid and Grass Valley. This ensures the widest compatibility with existing infrastructure and non-linear editing (NLE) software.
- Audio System
- A stereo microphone is incorporated into the XF105, as are two XLR audio inputs with +48V phantom power and a 3.5mm microphone input terminal. The built-in microphone provides exceptional audio in fast-paced situations while the XLR inputs and microphone input terminal provide connectivity to external microphones. In addition the XLR inputs allow the use of other professional audio devices. The built-in microphone and an external microphone can be used simultaneously.
- Waveform Monitor
- Videographers depend on this feature to confirm accurate exposure and color levels during the capture process. Typically only found on expensive external units, the Canon XF105 has a waveform monitor built right into the camera. The waveform monitor shows a detailed view of overall image brightness and RGB components.
- Intelligent Battery System
- The XF105 is compatible with Canon's new BP-925, as well as the BP-955 and BP-975 Intelligent Lithium-ion batteries. These batteries communicate remaining running time (down to the minute) and send data back to the camcorder, so the user is well-informed at all times. On the outside of the battery, four LED lamps allow battery life to be viewed quickly when in the field. The camcorder is also compatible with existing Canon BP-900 series batteries which can be inserted and removed while the supplied AC power cable is connected.
- Color Bars with Reference Tone
- Two types of color bars can be selected: Type 1 (SMPTE compliant) or Type 2 (ARIB compliant); 1 kHz Reference Tone: -12 dB, -18 dB, 20 dB, or OFF
- Photo Capture
- For applications such as storyboarding, continuity and publicity shots, the XF105 offers the ability to capture 1920 x 1080 still images. Photos may be captured to an SD memory card during the time of recording, as well as "frame grabbed" during playback.
- Bundled Canon XF Utility Software
- Compatible for use on both Mac and Windows platforms, Canon's XF Utility software provides a simplified first step in the process of managing and playing back your clips. Additionally, the software can manage lists of clips in a number of display formats, as well as tag, add and edit metadata. It also serves as an efficient means of backing up media.
|Image Device||1/3" CMOS Sensor|
2.37 Mp (2.07 Mp effective)
Bayer pattern filter
|Lens||10x optical zoom|
1.5x, 3x, 6x digital zoom
4.25-42.5mm (30.4-304mm, 35mm equivalent)
12 elements in 10 groups
58mm filter diameter
|Horizontal Resolution||900 TV lines or more (1920 x 1080i mode)|
|Focusing System||Ring control or automatic (Instant AF, Medium AF, TV AF, Face Detection AF, Face Only AF)|
|Zoom||Zoom Rocker: Variable speed/Fixed speed (Fast/Normal/Slow, 16 speed level settings available in each mode)|
Handle zoom: Fixed speed (Fast/Normal/Slow, 16 speed level settings available in each mode)
|Iris||f/1.8-22; ring control; custom dial control; Full Auto|
|Minimum Illumination||Full Auto (24 dB gain), 50i/25p: 3.8 lux / 1.9 lux|
Manual Mode (33 dB gain), 50i/25p: 1.3lux / 0.7 lux
|Built-in Filters||Neutral Density (Auto or Off)|
|Minimum Focus Distance||20mm (wide macro), 60 cm (entire zoom range)|
|Video Recording System||Compression: MPEG-2 Long GOP|
Color Space: 4:2:2 (at 50 Mb/s recording)
File Format: MXF
|Audio Recording Format||2-channel, PCM digital recording, 16-bit; 48 kHz|
|Audio Control||Audio limiter, Auto/manual settings via control dials on handle|
|Frame Rates||50i, 25p (all resolutions); 50p (1280 x 720 resolution only)|
|Slow & Quick Motion Function||720p: 12, 15, 18, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 30, 32, 34, 37, 42, 45, 48, 50 fps|
1080p: 12, 15, 18, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 fps
|Image Stabilization||SuperRange Optical (Lens Shift) with angle & vector movement detection|
3 modes: Standard, Powered, Dynamic
|LCD Monitor||3.5" (8.8 cm) color, approx. 920,000 dots|
Set brightness, contrast, color, sharpness, backlight, black & white
Adjustable position (270)
|Viewfinder||0.24" (6.1mm) color, approx. 260,000 dots|
Set brightness, contrast, color, backlight, black & white
Adjustable vertical tilt
+2.0 to -5.5 diopter
|Microphone||Yes, with attenuation and level meter|
|Memory Card Slot||CF Card: 2 slots (movie files only); UDMA4, 30 MB/s or faster (40 MB/s or faster for Fast/Slow recording)|
SD/SDHC/SDXC Card: still images, custom picture data, clip metadata, custom settings
|Still Picture Resolution||During video recording: 1920 x 1080|
During playback: 1920 x 1080, 1280 x 720
|Scan Reverse||Up/down, left/right, up/down/left/right image inversion|
|Exposure||Metering: Standard (center-weighted), Spotlight, Backlight|
Range: 50-100,000 lux
Compensation: -2 to +2 EV (13 steps)
Full Auto Mode
|Shutter Speed||1/18 to 1/2000 depending on frame rate|
Slow Shutter: 1/3, 1/6, 1/12, 1/25 depending on frame rate
|Shutter Angle||11.25 to 360 depending on frame rate|
|Clear Scan||50i/p: 50-249.46 Hz|
25p: 25-249.46 Hz
|Infrared||Green or white|
|White Balance||Auto, Manual, A, B, Daylight, Tungsten|
-50 to +50 white balance offset for R,G,B
|Time Code||Countup Setting: Regen, RecRun, FreeRun, External, Hold|
Start Value Setting: "00:00:00:00", Set/Reset selectable
|Gain Selection||Assignable L, M, H settings (-6 dB / -3 dB / 0 dB / 3 dB / 6 dB / 12 dB / 18 dB / 24 dB / 33 dB / TUNE (0.5 dB increments from 0 to 24 dB))|
|Automatic Gain Control||Setting: Full Auto; AGC On; Manual|
Limit: 3 dB; 6 dB; 9 dB; 12 dB; 15 dB; 18 dB; 21 dB (Off/24 dB)
|Custom Picture||Stored Configurations: 9 (3 factory presets)|
Storage Medium: SD/SDHC memory card (all customization data and metadata)
Gamma: 6 profiles
Master Pedestal: -50 to +50
Master Black: -50 to +50 for each of R,G,B
Black Gamma: Adjustable height, width, and apex
Low Key Saturation: -50 to +50 adjusts color saturation in low-brightness area
Knee: Adjusts over exposure characteristic (Automatic, Slope, Point, Saturation)
Sharpness: Adjustment for Detail level, Detail frequency, Coring, HV balance, Detail limit, Knee Aperture, Level Depend, Ingredient Ratio
Noise Reduction: Off, Automatic, On (1 to 8)
Skin Detail: Effect Level (Low, Middle, High), Hue, Chroma, Area, Y Level
Selective Noise Reduction: Effect Level (Low, Middle, High), Hue, Chroma, Area, Y Level
Color Matrix: -50 to +50 6-way matrix, Gain, Phase
White Balance: -50 to +50 white balance offset for R,G,B
Color Correction: Area selection / area revision of two areas
Setup Level: -50 to +50 On/Off
Press: On / Off
Clip 100% IRE: Limits output to 100% after setup adjustment
|Maximum Recording Time||With 1x 32 GB CF card: Up to 80 minutes (1080/50i @ 50 Mb/s)|
|Input and Output Connectors||HD/SD-SDI: BNC (x1 Output)|
Component (x1 Output)
Composite: 3.5mm A/V (x1 Output), BNC (x1 Output)
HDMI: Standard Type A (x1 Output)
Mic/Line: XLR 3-pin (x2 Input) with 48V phantom power (x2 Input); 3.5mm stereo (x1 Input)
USB: Mini-B USB 2.0 (x1 Output)
Headphone: 3.5mm Mini (x1 Output)
Genlock: BNC (x1 Input; same terminal used for time code)
Time Code: BNC (Switchable x1 Input or x1 Output; same terminal used for genlock)
Remote Control Terminal: LANC (2.5mm) (z1 Input)
|Accessory Shoe||Cold shoe|
|Power Requirements||7.4V DC (Battery Pack)|
|Battery Recording Time||Approx. 165 minutes|
|Battery Backup||Lithium coin battery (built-in)|
|Operating Temperature||23 to 113 F (-5 to 45 C), 60% relative humidity|
|Dimensions (WxHxD)||5.5 x 7.5 x 10.6" (13.9 x 19.1 x 26.8 cm) - including lens hood and microphone holder|
|Weight||2.4 lb (1.07 kg) - not including battery, memory card, lens hood, mic holder|
2.6 lb (1.16 kg) - fully equipped
|Package Weight||7.8 lb|
|Box Dimensions (LxWxH)||12.6 x 9.1 x 8.0"|